Allo' Expat Philippines - Connecting Expats in Philippines
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Philippines Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter

  Philippines Expat Tips Menu
Philippines Employment
Requirement for AEP
Philippines Legislation
Cost of Living
Crime & Security
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Philippines Employment

Jobs for foreigners are hard to find unless you are bound with a foreign company, specialized in a certain field like consultants and others in the investment and business field or married to Filipinas/Filipinos.

Work permits are not necessary if you are married to a Filipino citizen. You only need to register with the Department of Labor and Employment.

If you want to have your own business in the Philippines, you must know the local culture and customs. Former successful business experience is a requirement. If you have even a modest pension, you are in good shape too. And you can still probably save enough to run a small business, for additional income and something to do. But business as a hobby is often costly.

The following is what you need to know about the Alien Employment Permit (AEP) that allows foreign nationals seeking employment in the Philippines.

What is an Alien Employment Permit (AEP)?

An Alien Employment Permit is a document issued by the Secretary of Labor and Employment through the DOLE - Regional Director, who has jurisdiction over the intended place of work of the foreign national, authorizing the foreign national to work in the Philippines.

Who are the foreign nationals required to apply for an AEP?

1. Foreign nationals seeking employment in the Philippines whether they are non-residents or refugees;
2. Foreign professionals who are allowed to practice their profession in the Philippines under reciprocity and other international agreements and in consultancy services pursuant to Section 7(j) of the PRC Modernization Act of 2000.
3. Holders of Special Investors Resident Visa (SIRV), Special Retirees Resident Visa (SRRV), Treaty Traders Visa (9d) or Special Non-Immigrant Visa (47(a)2) for as long as they occupy any executive, advisory, supervisory, or technical position in any establishment.

See more information on the next page... (next)