Allo' Expat Philippines - Connecting Expats in Philippines
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Philippines Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter

   Information Center Philippines
Philippines General Information
Philippines Expatriates Handbook
Philippines and Foreign Government
Philippines General Listings
Philippines Useful Tips
Housing in Philippines
Bringing Pets
Philippines driving license
Maids in Philippines
Travel and holiday tips
Business Etiquettes
Social Customs & Etiquettes
Philippines Education & Medical
Philippines Travel & Tourism Info
Philippines Lifestyle & Leisure
Philippines Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

Philippines Driving License

Vehicles in the Philippines drive on the right side of the road : i.e. – Left Hand Steering.

Distances and car speeds are in Kilometers and Kilometers Per Hour. Remember that one mile equals about 1.6 km.

If you plan to be in the Philippines for more than 90 days and plan to drive a vehicle, you will need a Philippine driver’s license (foreign licenses are acceptable for drivers staying here for shorter periods of time). The Land Transportation Office (LTO) issues all drivers’ licenses. Offices are located throughout the country. The following are the requirements to acquire a Philippine driver’s license, provided you have a foreign license:

1. The original foreign license plus a photocopy.

2. If the information on the license is not written in English, a translation must be provided by the Embassy of the country where the license was issued.

3. If you need a professional license, or if the foreign license is expired at the time the application is filed, you will have to take both a written examination and a road test.

4. A completed application form.

The LTO will then give you a receipt that will serve as your temporary license for 60 days pending the issuance of the permanent license.

A non-professional driver's license costs about P250 (apx. US$5), but check the LTO fees page for up-to-date prices for all levels of driver's licenses. Licenses are valid for three years.

For more information visit the Land Transportation Office (LTO) at